Dersingham Post Office
Dersingham Post Office - Mr & Mrs John Lindsay 1979 to date
Dersingham SPSO has two full time counter working positions serving an
ever-increasing population. Consideration is being given to the need
for a third position.
The attached Sorting Office now has six
delivery officers on permanent contracts - 3 full time and 3 part time.
Mail, including parcels and letters for Ingoldisthorpe, is delivered at
5.30am and 1.20pm. Parcels for Dersingham are delivered by van from
Kings Lynn direct to addressees.
There are three collections from the
SPSO each day Monday to Friday, 2 collections on a Saturday and 1 collection
on Sundays and Bank Holidays. Dersingham postmen and women also
deliver in Ingoldisthorpe.
On the arrival of
Mr & Mrs Lindsay at Dersingham, Mr Lindsay and the staff had the
responsibility for collecting and accounting for money from the following
telephone boxes pre-privatisation of the telephone services:
Clearance: Weekly - Wednesdays
At SPSO (now removed further along Post Office Road)
Clearance: Fortnightly - Fridays
Manor Road, Dersingham
Clearance: Fortnightly - Fridays
Dodds Hill Road, Dersingham (old school)
Weekly - Mondays
Weekly - Fridays
A Potted History of Dersingham Post Office
The post was apparently
despatched in 1836 from Dersingham to
Heacham by Mail Gig at 11.00am and to Lynn at 2.00pm but from where
is not recorded but by 1846 we know that a Postman, a Mr Isaac Bunn,
operate din the village and that letters were received at 8.30am and
despached at 6.00pm. In 1864 the Post Office was at J.L.
Alcock's a tailor and letters were despatched via Lynn at 5.40pm.
Money orders were granted from the office but were not paid.
On 15 August 1870 Mr E. Beckett was appointed Sub-Postmaster at a
salary of £15:18:0d and he remained in post until appointment of Mrs Alice Maud Beckett on 27 October 1899 at a
salary of £173:10:0d. which was an indication of the increase in business in
the village. The Post Office was classified as a Sub-Post, money
order, telegram and T.E.D. office in 1912 and Mrs Alice Maud Beckett was the
Post Mistress. The London and other letters were received through Lynn
by mail cart and arrived at 5.10am and were delivered at 7.00am and 10.15am
mail was despatched at 10.55am (direct to London) and at 6.20pm and 8.00pm.
Sunday delivery was at 7.00am and it was despatched at 6.20pm. There
was a wall box near The Feathers Hotel which was cleared at 10.45am and
6.00pm. At the station which was cleared at 9.50am and 5.35pm and at
Heath Road which was cleared at 10.45am and 6.00pm Sundays at 7.55am.
In 1936, at the time of the death of King George V an article described
the Sub-Post Mistress as being an elderly lady and it is more than possible
that Mrs Beckett was still in post at that date. There was no change
by 1937 in the classification of the Post Office. In 1962 the Sub-Post
Master was F. Lee followed by a Mr Baker. Installation of a stamp
vending machine had been refused as stamps were available at two of the
local shops when the Post Office was closed.
known cancellation is recorded as having been issued by Head Office on 9
November 1854 and was an undated Double Arc type and has been recorded "used
about 1855". This was probably in use for some time as the next
recorded cancel is the Thimble type which was in use from about 1900 and is
recorded as being "used as late as 11 October 1921". This cancel
showed as well as the date a code letter and letters A.B. and C are known.
It is assumed that this cancel was followed by the Standard Double Ring type
and this is recorded used in 1974 and a single counter type stamp was also
used for cancellation between 1970 and 1974. It is assumed that a
parcel post cancel was also in use but no record of an example is known.